Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Bluegrass Blues...

Last weekend my hometown hosted the 41st National Flat Pickin' Championships and I had to miss out... an awful tragedy. I am not being dramatic. Missing Bluegrass is like dying a little bit inside. Really! The Walnut Valley Festival, known to Winfield natives as "Bluegrass," to all others as "Winfield," and to my dad as "Big Blue," is an event I refuse to miss. Unless I am out of the country and it's nearly financially impossible (and impractical) to attend. Or one of Cole's cousins gets married that weekend. Why on EARTH anyone would choose the 3rd weekend in September for a wedding is beyond me. (Sorry, Becky!)  :) Some of you reading this think I'm being ridiculous. You're wrong. Others think those are both poor excuses for missing WVF. I know. {Head hanging in shame.} Unacceptable.

Our family started attending the festival in 1998 (right, Mom?) when we moved to Winfield, and I've only missed twice since then. Making me the black sheep of our family... and campsite. For me, the festival officially marks the beginning of fall. I was so excited for Eva to experience her first Bluegrass... tye-dyed onesie and all. So I've been a little down lately. Slightly homesick and just bummed out about other fall things we're missing out on. Like another important one... K-State football. Yay for a great season so far, but each win makes me SAD not to be there... Poor me.

You probably aren't feeling very sorry for me. I'm in Italy, for crying out loud... living La Dolce Vita! (Someone out there is saying... and you don't even have to work! Yeah, yeah..) Don't get me wrong. I am extremely thankful for every moment of this opportunity. We are seeing amazing things, experiencing amazing things. And I get to spend a lot of quality time with Eva. Trust me, I am so grateful! Unfortunately, that doesn't stop me from getting a little down now and then. There's a lot that we are missing out on. Life back home hasn't stopped, and that often makes us wonder how we'll adjust when we return... and everything we left behind has changed.

Now that the 2012 festival has passed, I will let myself think about Bluegrass again.. I honestly have just tried to avoid any thoughts before, it was just too much of a bummer. At least I'm not alone. I know I'm not the only one this week with a case of the Bluegrass Blues. Everyone who was in attendance has them, too... because the 2013 festival already seems so far away and the countdown has only just begun.

4 comments:

  1. I am totally feeling sorry for you! I can't even begin to imagine how I'd feel if I had to miss Bluegrass! You poor thing ;(

    Barrett loved every second of being at Bluegrass (already his 5th one!), and even he now knows why we call Bluegrass Sunday "the saddest day of the year." He was not happy we had to pack up camp and head home.
    Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was not the same without you!!! We all spent a lot of time talking about next year and having you there----- and of course EVA!!!!! Cole too :/ we know how he loves it... It was really a fun weekend--- but our hearts were a little bit empty --- we missed you as much as you missed us. Let the countdown begin for WVF 2013! Whoop Whoop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura Mc - thank you for feeling sorry for me! ;) I love that you call Bluegrass Sunday "the saddest day of the year." We'll have to use that phrase... poor Barrett. Hope his spirits have lifted since Sunday!

    Mom - so looking forward to next year! :) Can't wait to get Eva in some tye-dye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WE MISSED YOU SO MUCH! We did spend time talking about how much we missed ya'll and how awesome it will be next year with you guys there and Eva running around...and then we would be a bit teary eyed and move on to the next topic..."beer anyone?" lol just kidding.;)
    Lots of fun pics to share...I took on my phone and I'm not sure how to get them uploaded...haven't taken time to do it. I have a "rock star" pic of your dad!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! :)