Thursday, April 4, 2013

Here's to Royce.


This is a post I didn't want to have to write. I thought we could avoid saying good-bye to Royce until this summer or next fall. It's been one of the hardest parts about being away from home... Especially for Cole. Royce was really his dog. (Don't get me wrong - Royce rode home from the kennel as a chubby little puppy on MY lap. I love him, too.) But he was Cole's first purchase after getting an "adult" job... Royce came before the truck - or even my engagement ring. I think Cole might have loved him just as much as he loves me.

Royce and Sadie (Cole's college roommate's dog.)

Introducing Royce to Layla...
We feel incredibly sad, of course. But also guilty - for not being there and for having my sister-in-law and brother-in-law take care of something that was just plain our responsibility. And we feel bad knowing that Layla, our other pup, is probably confused right now and cold at night. She loved to snuggle against Royce and steal room in his bed. We're sure she misses him a lot.

He wasn't standing on his own or using the bathroom - so we asked to have him taken into the vet and they called us from there. Toughest phone conversation ever, but also the most humane decision for him, too.


Needless to say, it's been a rough week. We miss Kansas and all the wonderful people and things that await us there. We're doing our best to enjoy these last few months in Italy - but there really is no place like home.

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, now it's my turn to send my condolences :( I'm so sorry. it's heartbreaking to lose a dog, it really is losing a member of the family! I know how hard it is, and now it's my turn to say hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought of you a lot this week, it is so tough not being there... I know you can relate! Thanks!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! :)