Friday, September 26, 2008

Blog neglect...

Almost the entire month of September has passed - and only one blog entry? Cole has been nagging me to update this thing... So here are the blogworthy events of my month so far:

Bluegrass! High water forced Walnut Valley visitors out of the fairgrounds and into other campsites, but even a flood can't stop the spirit of Bluegrass! We wound up camping at Winfield Livestock Auction with our normal crew - the cows kept us company! Others were camped in Oxford and at Winfield City Lake. We had a fun visit to Oxford on Friday night, which was Pirate Night. Our group was a scary sight, thanks to Mom's purchase of eye patches, gold hoop earrings and plastic swords! Saturday we made it out to Stage 5 at the lake. Kent rode his motorcycle out from Salina with a buddy, so it was nice to get to share Bluegrass with him this year, too! Hopefully he'll return next year (with Kate) for a more normal Bluegrass. Ha! Bluegrass, normal? Hardly.

#62, check! Last year I joined Junior League of the Flint Hills, a local women's service group. Our primary focus is promoting literacy in the FH region; we also complete various other service projects for local shelters, schools, etc. In general, our members like to take care of eachother, too! We provide meals when a new little one comes along, or a family member is sick, or a spouse is deployed... Karla, another Junior Leaguer, had her baby girl, Kinley, (isnt' that a great name?!) on July 2nd. Karla was only 28 weeks along at the time, and Kinley was born weighing only 2 pounds, 12 ounces. You can view Kinley's CaringBridge website HERE. There are even photos of teensey weensey Kinley! Fortunately, I got to stop by for a visit this week. According to mom, Kinley is doing great - she's up to eight pounds now, and her doctor was even surprised with the weight gain! What a miracle!

#16, almost check... I've had a lot of fun over the past few months lunching with friends! Even though I'm working near Junction City at Rock Springs 4-H Center, I occasionally get to work from home. Usually when I'm in Manhattan, I try to schedule lunch with a friend. I've gotten to eat with Sarah, Heather, Sabrina, Kelly, and Leesa... 5 out of 6 so far... not bad!

#53 and #54, works in progress... The half-marathon training is slow going. My longest run so far has been 6 miles - I'm a little behind schedule. I've completed 80 out of my 1001 miles to run, so I'm averaging a little over 2 miles per day, but I really need to step it up. Cole and I are thinking about enrolling in "Boot Camp" at our gym. Some tough love might be exactly what we need!

Speaking of RUNNING, the Rock Springs Turkey Trot 5k & Kids Gobble Jog is approaching quickly... Don't forget to sign up! The run will be held at Rock Springs on November 8th.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the cattle kept you company...you know, it seems like I didn't hear them much during the day, but at night, they were bawling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I LOVE your list. I've been debating on beginning one myself. I'm a definite LIST MAKER. It's a little overwhelming to have 101 things on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Les... Just remember you have almost 3 years to complete it. :) I've had a lot of fun with it so far!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! :)