Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My first night at 4-H camp!


As a child, I was never involved in 4-H. Some of my friends went to camp each summer... and I was always a little jealous. It sounded like so much fun! As part of my job at Rock Springs, I'm spending this week at camp. It'll give me a chance to better learn our facility and the processes that I'm not usually a part of with my "day job." Last night was my first night at 4-H camp as the administrator on duty. Let's just say it was... exciting. Here are a few highlights:
  • Cleaned up vomit.
  • We were in a tornado watch, and there was quite a thunderstorm, complete with lightning show.
  • To keep them out of the lightning/rain, we moved campers to our primary storm shelter (which is also an auditorium) and tried to entertain them with movies.
  • They 'booed' my movie choice of Robin Hood. I guess I'm old and boring. They preferred Tarzan and Mulan.
  • Woke up at 4am to L O U D thunder. Storms don't usually wake me, but I was a little on edge. When you're responsible for 359 kids... Yikes!
I'm sure I'll survive the rest of my stay... but I'm exhausted already! Hopefully the weather cooperates for the remainder of the week.

3 comments:

  1. HOLY COW! You'll have lots of stories to tell after a week!!
    TRL this weekend...can't wait, wish you guys were coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, sounds like you had a rough time. I hope it gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm jealous you get to camp out there for the week!! :) hope you're having fun! sounds like you're not bored! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! :)